Friday, March 6, 2009

$20/Night

The Pirate Haus, St. Augustine, FL
N 29°53'43.50", W 81°18'17.30"
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.89542,-81.30481

Another night in another hostel. This is apparently the oldest city in America, but the Friday night crowd feels like a mall near a disposessed suburban high school. Swarms of young'uns acting like they want to be adults. Give them a couple years, they'll see.

Otherwise tonight was a great night to be in St. Augustine. It's the first Friday of the month and I am only blocks from the local Art Walk. Behold the glass jellyfish statue blurry photo as evidence. It's a nice town, but it's a beach town and I'm in tourist central, so I would need a different mindset to really get into it.

Overall, I am loving hostels. I had really great experiences in San Francisco at the International Guest House/ Merry Go Round, loved the Blue Moon in Lafayette, and the Pirate Haus is pretty terrific as well. Location, staff, and amenities really make the aforementioned places awesome and highly recommended.
The Bad. El Paso's only hostel is near nothing and makes me think of the Shining, maybe it was just bad timing. Austin had no bed on a Monday night. It soured my view of the city, but it is well reviewed, even if it did ruin my night.

No comments:

Post a Comment